Thursday, 27 July 2017

Summer Recess


Parliament has now dissolved for the summer recess. After a gruelling general election campaign, I am looking forward to taking the opportunity to spend more time in the constituency and catch up on some of the exciting projects that are happening locally.
 
I am particularly looking forward to meeting with a group of young people who are taking part in the National Citizenship Service (NCS). NCS is open to all 16-17 year olds in England and aims to bring together young people from all sorts of different backgrounds, helping to break down social barriers and develop self-confidence. NCS is a residential course, and I try to meet participants every year. I am always interested to hear about the projects that they are planning to help the community. I remember one group helping to put the final touches to a children’s play area at the BMX track at Parc Erissey.
 
I am also looking forward to catching up with Cornwall Befriending Service, who do a great job in helping people manage their money and financial hardship as well as stress and debt problems exacerbated by mental health.
 
I will be holding an open surgery, when I will meet with constituents that need help with various problems in their lives. I also hold a regular advice surgery at my office in Camborne.
 
I hope to catch up with lots of our wonderful local companies, and some of our local projects such as the Kresen Kernow Archive Centre at Redruth. The archive is coming on very well, and is on track to open in 2018. Another plan is to spend some time training for a sponsored half marathon, which I intend to run to help Carn Brea Leisure Centre in their quest to raise money for the work needed on the swimming pool. Carn Brea has been awarded a grant by Sport England, but now needs to raise the remaining money required for the work to be completed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.